VisionThe Associazione Italo-Americana Luciano Finelli
"Friends of the Johns Hopkins University" was established on January 28th, 2002. It is a non-profit organization which provides an important bridge between the educational and cultural activities of Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies
in Bologna, Italy and the wider community.
The Association aims to provide substantive and thought-provoking programming for its members and for the general public by inviting Johns Hopkins University faculty and guest speakers to engage with audiences on topics of international relevance, including economics, politics and culture. In addition, the Association supports the mission and general activities of Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies by providing scholarships to students, contributing to funding positions for faculty, and helping to connect students with volunteer opportunities in the community.
Strategic Plan 2017-2020
The Association has developed a three-year plan for implementing its mission. Current projects include:
- The organization of conferences and seminars on themes of transatlantic relations and the political changes underway in the United States in Europe. These events are aimed at a non-specialized audience with the goal of providing a platform for debate and interaction with Johns Hopkins SAIS faculty and other invited guest speakers.
- The awarding of a merit scholarship for a student with demonstrated financial need to begin their graduate studies in international relations at Johns Hopkins University SAIS Europe.
- The promotion of opportunities for Johns Hopkins SAIS students to engage with their local community, in particular through language exchanges and volunteering in public schools.
- The conduct of fundraising efforts among Johns Hopkins SAIS alumni in Europe vis-à-vis the Transnational Giving Europe (TGE), a network of European foundations of which the Association is a member since 2010.
- The implementation of a campaign to encourage staff, faculty and friends of Johns Hopkins SAIS Europe to use the "5x1000" donation option on their Italian tax return to support the operating expenses of the Association.
Board of Directors
Michael Plummer - President
Bart Drakulich - Treasurer
Gabriella Chiappini - Secretary
Dea Di Furia - Coordinator